Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 14 (may 28th) Hitching to Wanaka

I get up today to better weather and head out to the main road, one minute from Ivory Towers Hostel, to begin hitchhiking. The day is finally clear and there is a great view of the mountains with a fresh dusting of snow on top. I feel like I'm in Franz Josef again as there are very few cars going by. I think I am being picked up by an Asian couple, but instead they turn into the petrol station opposite me, get out of the car and start taking pictures of the petrol pump and the discount signs. Random. Then they drive the opposite direction. Darn! An hour and a half later, I'm leaving the convenience store with a $1.50 Pams pie in hand and no lift. I give it about another half hour and by 1pm, decide I'm going to have to cheat again and get a dreaded BUS! I meet Joe (funny Joe who played charades with us the other night) at the bus stop and we both get on the 1.30pm bus to Wanaka. The driver is cracking jokes here and there and giving us a running commentary on everything we are passing, which is pretty cool. We stop at Knights Point and look out onto the Tasman Sea, one of the roughest in the world. Apparently boats and sailors have just completely disappeared here, without a trace of their existence. To the southwest there is no land between here and the Antarctic. The tremendous energy of the storms across this ocean has a powerful and changing effect on this coastline. Pretty awesome!

We then drive through Haast. This region covers over 2,500 square kilometres of diverse and spectacular landscapes. As we drive up through the mountainous areas, there is snow and ice on the roads from the night before, which may turn to black ice later and cause major problems. Lucky we are driving through when it's not dark! There's also waterfalls cascading down absolutely everywhere. Apparently, Haast gives a unique insight into the 'Real New Zealand', a rare gem unspoilt by humans and thriving with native bird life. E.E Muir said in 1929 that 'the whole district of South Westland is a perfect paradise to the botanist and indeed any liver of nature', and it's easy to see what he is talking about while driving through. Unfortunately I didn't get any great pictures from the moving bus but we stopped at the only cafe along the way and the picture is below! It's an enjoyable drive with good banter from Joe as we indulge ourselves with ginger cookies and oreos along the way.

We reach Wanaka at about 5.30pm, just as it's getting dark. The view of the lake and the mountains behind as we approached on the bus was amazing. It is absolutely freezing when I get off the bus! I wave goodbye to Joe and set off in search of a hostel. I text Sarah, my personal Isite again and she recommends 'Mountain View' which is warm, friendly and good value. I meet Xavier, another charades buddy and fellow hitchhiker and we chill for the night and watch 'Buried' on the big flat screen TV. I'm still undecided as to whether I love or hate the movie. Another early night for me so we can do some hikes tomorrow in beautiful Wanaka!

 Knights Point
 Haast
 Haast




No comments:

Post a Comment