Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 15 (May 29th) Wanaka and arrival in Queenstown!

I woke up at about 8am ready to go out hiking. As I walked out of my dorm I was greeted by a massive blanket of snow and a complete white out with very little visibility so hiking could be a bit dodgy. However, after forty minutes and a hearty breakfast, the weather and visibility was improving significantly. Xavier and I decided we would climb Iron, a short walk from the hostel so we could see the beautiful views in Wanaka which is known as a town of natural mountain and lake splendour. The location of Wanaka at the foot of the Southern Alps with the wilderness of the Mt Aspiring National Park nearby makes it a magnet for outdoor lovers the world over. We are pretty chuffed there's been such a heavy snowfall which really add to the beauty. Mount Iron is an impressive, glacier carved, rocky knoll that rises nearly 250 metres above the surrounding countryside. As a result, from the summit there are excellent 360-degree views of the The Pisa range, the Upper Clutha Basin, Lake Wanaka and the Southern Alps. It is approximately an hour to the summit. What a lovely walk! And there's snow everywhere, including some mini snowmans which have been made by other walkers who have been out earlier than us. It really feels like winter now and it's a beautiful, cold but fresh day. There are really cute little rabbits running around everywhere but they are too quick for us to get any decent pictures. I'm still quite excited by this as I have never seen them in such abundance on any walks in Ireland. We reach the top, breathe in the clean air and take some pictures. 








 Views from Mount Iron

I would love to explore some more of Wanaka and check out the cute little town but I'm eager to get to Queenstown where I have good friends waiting my arrival. I head back to the hostel, grab my bag and get out on the road. I am so excited to get there! I have heard nothing but excellent things about this tiny little winter paradise. After about 15 minutes, I'm picked up by Sarah, a young, kiwi artist who wants to 'revolutionise hugging' and really appreciates all the beautiful things and beautiful people around her. She is great fun and obviously talented. Check out her stuff here! She drops me in Frankton and I'm soon picked up by another Kiwi man, Danny, who feels sorry for me lugging my bag along the road in the snow. Yay! It's snowing again as we arrive in Queenstown and I am already loving the city as I admire the place before being dropped right at my hostel, Absoloot. I get inside, have some dinner, get ready and then meet Charlotte in 1876, a cute and classy bar in town with excellent drink prices. We catch up and hours later I go to sleep dreaming of a wonderful winter in a wonderful winterland, Queenstown. 

 
Beautiful Queenstown

No comments:

Post a Comment