Wednesday 22 May 2013

Day 4 (May 17th) Hanmer Springs

I’m up at 730 and head down to the beach to try catch some whales or dolphins again. No sign. I don’t think they like me. However, it’s a much clearer day today and I get to admire the beautiful and majestic southern alps, or the Kaikoura mountains. They are snow-capped and I suddenly get a thrill of excitement to be back on top of the mountain ready to snowboard down. Soon, soon! I make myself a coffee with the awful free hostel coffee (but appreciate it all the same) and lug my bag to where I need to be for my next hitching post. By 10am I’m picked up by Leo, the most lovely man, who is on his way to Christchurch but drops me 55k to the turn off for Hanmer Springs. After 5 minutes I’m picked up by Amabel, Matt and their gorgeous 2 year old Hugo. We arrive in Hanmer Springs about an hour later. They offer me a lift tomorrow and I offer to babysit if they want and we exchange numbers. I have a ramble around the town and feel like I’m in a yuppy European ski town. It’s oak tree-lined streets, shady park and cute cafes give it a lovely feel. (I take back previous comments). This town is inland, 140km North of Christchurch and its springs are fed by rainwater seeping through fractures in the rocks of the Hanmer Mountains, absorbing various minerals and warmed by the earth’s natural heat, making the famous ‘hot pools’ exist. (Naturally hot spring water one can bathe in).

I check into the Hanmer Backpacker which is awesome. (20 minutes in the massage chair free – need I say more!) I decide to check out the hot pools and whether I am willing to part with 20 bucks to sit in other peoples dirt. (They are commercial hot pools). I have a look around and decide against it as I already sat in amazing natural hot pools at Huka Falls near Taupo so I’ve had my fill. I take pictures – that’s good enough. I decide to go for a hike – it’s rainy and misty but it will be good for me with the severe lack of exercise I’ve had lately. Traveling around having fun is hard work so I decide to take the shortest walk – Conical Hill Walk which is an hour or so hike. I walk through what looks like a tropical rainforest and get to the top lookout point which is pretty spectacular. Well worth it! I sit and take in the views of the domineering mountains and low lying cloud and ramble back to the hostel, shower, eat and have a free massage. Yeahhhh buddy! Now I’m sitting writing this, waffling to other guests and debating whether to go into town to treat myself to a dessert somewhere. Looks like the weather will be okay tomorrow so I may be heading further toward the west coast. Who knows! Until next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment