Friday 24 May 2013

Day 9 (22nd May) - Greymouth

So it was never really part of my plan to spend any time in Greymouth. But today I'm feeling lazy, there's free wifi, a warm fire and fun people in the hostel. I decide to have a lazy day here and move on tomorrow. I figure I at least need to get out for an hour so I head into the 'enchanting Greymouth' to see what's on offer. It's all in the name really. It's grey. Greymouth gets on average about 2575mm of rain yearly and today is no exception. This town is the largest on the West coast and the commercial heart of this side of the country. The boom time for the town was the 1860's for the gold rush, and you could say there is still a character and pioneering spirit to the place. I walk along the coast and learn about some of the huge gold-mining disasters that have happened over the years. I also wander by Monteiths Brewery. From humble beginnings in 1868, the brewery has won international acclaim for its boutique beers. I walk across Cobden Bridge to do 'Lions Walk' which is about a twenty minute uphill walk through Rapahoe Range scenic reserve with a great view up above. I don't think Greymouth is enchanting, but I'm sure it is a lot nicer during summer time.
I decide that's enough for me for the day and head back to the hostel. I wish I had a onesie right now as I'm freezing and wet. One of the other guests however just has a fresh, pear sponge cake coming out of the oven and is offering us all a piece (all three of us). Oh I couldn't, okay I could...oh maybe I'll have 6 slices actually. It was delicious!!! Day 9 over. 





No comments:

Post a Comment