Wednesday 22 May 2013

Day 6 (May 19th) - Akaroa


I wake up to rain and grey skies. Not ideal since today I have a Nature Cruise booked in Akaroa, an hour and a half east of Christchurch. I booked the cruise on www.bookme.co.nz www.bookme.co.nz, a discount website with tours and offers for things to do around New Zealand. Definitely worth a visit! The tour isn’t until 1.30pm so I figure I have enough time to hitchhike there. Luckily my hostel is on the road to Akaroa and after ten minutes I am picked up by Luke, a young Kiwi working in Christchurch, but from the North Island. He hasn’t explored any of the South Island so ends up coming out to Akaroa and on the cruise – awesome as now I have company.

The gorgeous surrounds that accompany us on the drive through Banks Peninsula set the scene for our arrival in Akaroa. Despite the dull weather, there is an instant attraction to this small, charming French-influenced village. The nature cruise is great but AGAIN, no spotting of dolphins! I do see seals, penguins and albatross, which are massive and beautifully graceful birds. I was hooked watching them when one followed the boat, swooping up and down from side to side, a seldom occurrence according to the guide. We learn about some of the fascinating nature on the peninsula and see the first ever Maori settlement in New Zealand.  If anyone is visiting Akaroa, get in touch, as because we didn’t see dolphins, I have another trip for free! We head into town after the trip for some fish and chips. Delicious! Akaroa is really pretty and quaint, but I would recommend getting there on a fine day if possible to see it at its best. Luke drops me back to the Jailhouse and I spend the night chilling with my dorm mates and a hot water bottle as the cold has gotten into my bones. Another early night for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment