Wednesday 22 May 2013

Goodbye Furneaux Lodge!

 So I’ve decided to write a mini, temporary, fun blog to record my travels on the South Island of New Zealand because it’s nice to be able to share these once in a life time experiences. I used to love a bit of blogging so time to get my fix again. I’m traveling on my own because my friend Gini went and broke her wrist and hence could not be my travel buddy anymore. Silly girl. I plan to hitchhike around and get the odd bus if possible. After my travels I intend to work in Queenstown. So let the adventures begin!

I’ve spent the last 7 weeks in Marlborough Sounds (very North of South Island) at a beautiful resort called Furneaux Lodge. I went to Furneaux to save money and stop partying for a while. And it worked!... Well almost - there was quite a few late nights and unattractive bruises but they were worth it for the laughs. Marlborough Sounds is seriously beautiful. You will probably hear that a lot in this travel post but anyone who has been there will agree. On a sunny day, it’s perfection. It basically consists of clear blue water – bays, inlets, islands and peninsulas rising abruptly from the stillness to rugged, lush, green wilderness. Sometimes I used to just sit by the wharf and watch it all go by. Well, rarely anything ever went by, the odd boat about once a day. A dolphin or orca here and there. We were an hour and a half from Picton in a boat, along the Queen Charlotte track, so yes, extremely remote. No shops, no phone signal, nada! I made great friends at Furneaux and had many a lovely chat over a cup of tea. I’m hoping to meet HANNAH again before I go back to Ireland (If she haven’t been eaten by Frankie - the dead mouse Simon caught and taunted me with repeatedly, or Ratty - the MASSIVE rat that scampered through our living room on my last night forcing me to stay in Hannah's room for fear of being eaten or worse, nibbled at...shudder!)

Things I will miss about Furneaux
-The devastating beauty (only adjective to really describe it, sorry!)
-Not having to cook, not even once, and having restaurant standard meals made for us every single day!!! Delish! (SHANKS Izzie and Si)
-Random, crazy nights beginning in the bar and ending up in the croft
-Having tea made for me regularly (Thanks Hannah!)
-Having barista style coffee whenever we want
-Referring to someone dossing as ‘Tobying’. Sorry Toby.
-Sitting in the croft talking about this that and the other
-Pretty walks
-Listening to Si and Izzie being ridiculously opinionated and ALWAYS being right (supposedly)..quite funny...this should maybe in the ‘things I don’t miss’ category
-Getting the piss taken out of me constantly by the boys. Thanks Si, Izzie and Lee
-Banter with the customers
-Banter in the kitchen during service
-Eating like a king (needs two mentions)
-Always feeling at home

Things I wont miss about Furneax
-Hearing mice, rats and possums in our house EVERY NIGHT when I was in bed
-Feeling the cold days of winter creeping in, watching my tan fade and general winter ugliness entering my life again
-The freezingness of the croft (our staff house)
-Having zero phone signal (although it was quite refreshing at times)
-Si having his 'good' music on at full blast at all times possible





No comments:

Post a Comment