Wednesday 22 May 2013

Day 3 (May 16th)...pretty Kaikoura

I’m up and out by 8am. I use one of the free bikes to head to New World down the road, pick up some fresh bread and ham for my day out and then head down to the beach behind the hostel as I’ve been told there has been lots of whales and dolphins close enough to the shore the last few days. No sightings for me unfortunately - it’s quite a dull day. I cycle through the town to the I-site and get some info. The town is small and cute and has a tacky feel to it, reminding me of Brighton in the UK. (Don’t get me wrong – tacky can be awesome and Brighton rocks!)
Kaikoura, 130km south of Blenheim, enjoys a lovely setting in the Lee of the Kaikoura Peninsula, wedged between the mountains and the ocean. The sea bed drops away rapidly to the kilometre deep canyon bringing lots of sea mammals to the region. The place is named in Maori after crayfish; kai (food) koura (crayfish). I begin my cycle along the coast so I can do the peninsula walk. I go by Fyffe House which is made completely from whalebones and began life as part of the original whaling station. Interesting. I get to the seal colony and am immediately up close and personal with a shit load of seals. Man, they are cool. Some are sleeping, some are waddling around, even in the carpark, others are paddling. Never in my life have I seen sea mammals just hanging out in an open place like this. It’s awesome! I get a bit too close to one of them who must have just awoken, to get a picture, and he makes a leap for me causing me to scream quite loudly and send some other eager tourists into convulsions of laughter. Hahahaha, screw you tourists! Laughing at myself also, I begin my ascent up the peninsula while listening to awful New Zealand radio on my phone. The views are gorgeous and bring me over the grassy cliffs to South Bay. I come across more seal colonies and rush by a bird nesting area (where heron, shags and red-billed gulls are rife) in fear of being attacked. (I had a near death situation in Paihia..well..sort of!) I get back to my bike after a couple of hours and begin to cycle back. My friend Sarah (also my personal New Zealand Isite) has told me my other friend Sarah might be still wwoofing at the Albatross hostel so I pop by hoping to find her. As I walk in she’s walking out! Woop. We have a coffee and catch up in the awesome surroundings of the Albatross Hostel (defo a must stay if in Kaikoura).

I head back to my hostel, drop off my bike and start hitching again to a waterfall 20 minutes out of town. The reason being: BABY SEALS! I’m soon picked up by Steve, in a 30 metre long truck carrying about 15 cars – first time for everything! He drops me right where I need to be and I make my way up the pathway ten minutes to the Waterfall to be greeted by CUTE OVERLOAD. Oh my God. This is amazing. There must be 100 seal pups jumping and diving under the waterfall, prancing around the rocks and wait for it....kissing each other. It really is beyond cute if that’s possible. The waterfall is pretty cool as well. I hitch back and am picked up pretty soon. I end up wedged between two men from Samoa in an old, filthy van with food and building equipment everywhere. Their English isn’t great and as they babble away in another language I realise the driving skills leave a lot to be desired. I text Gini telling her to call me if I don’t text her again in 20 minutes. As it turns out the two men were lovely, fascinated when I told them about the seals, and dropped me right to my door. Sarah has invited me to the pub quiz with her crew tonight but I am pretty shattered so have another boring night in. It’s been a good day!






No comments:

Post a Comment